Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What Has Your Blog Done for You Lately?


When it comes to writing magazine articles, I'm pretty motivated to get the job done - there are deadlines, editors' expectations, readers' expectations and, yes, a paycheck waiting in the wings.

When it comes to blogging, however, motivation is sometimes harder to come by. There are no deadlines (unless self-imposed), no expectations from editors and no paycheck.

But there are expectations from readers, and that's a huge incentive. When you receive comments, Facebook likes and interaction on a post you've written, doesn't it spur you on to blog more? And when you pick up a client or career opp from your blog, it's a nice confirmation that, hey, this blogging thing might be working out.    

Trouble is, it takes time to get on a roll. I've been posting to FitnessWriter.blogspot.com for years, but I've also launched a newer blog called FitnessTestDrive.com, where I try out and blog about fitness equipment, gear, DVDs and apps.

Fitness Test Drive reminds me what it's like to be the new kid on the blogosphere block.

It's tough out there, folks - you've got to build up a readership, outright ask people to tweet your post and push for comments. I get why blogging newbies lose motivation quickly, and I won't deny that my interest has waned on occasion, too.

During one of those times, the strangest thing happened.

One day, I pondered about how to boost my blogging motivation. The next day, I got news that Fitness Test Drive was a finalist in the Best Health Magazine Blog Awards. (Want to vote? Fitness Test Drive is under the "Get Healthy" category.)

Bam! I was back in the game.

I realize that an award nomination is not the most typical way to muster motivation. But it does reinforce what I've always said about blogging: You've got to have a blog to benefit from it. And, most importantly, your readers will benefit from it.

Blogging does open the door to a myriad of opportunities and connections for you and your readers - do you agree? Has it happened to you?

In closing....I'm not going to beg or anything, but would you please, please, please vote in the Best Health Blog Awards (and preferably for my blog). You'll find my blog Fitness Test Drive in the "Get Healthy" category on the voting page.   

6 comments:

Becky said...

While I don't see any award nominations looming in my future, it is encouraging to read about the unexpected surprises that sometimes come from blogging!

And I put my vote in for you as requested. :)

Anonymous said...

My Blog: It has been so long since I have blogged that I can't even remember my username and password to get in and post new stuff!!!

I enjoy your blog however and have been voting for it often, good luck!

Carolyn said...

re: voting for your blog, Amanda

Done. And done.

Carolyn!

p.s. will enjoy checking out the other blogs, too...they're right up my (interest) alley. :-)

Amanda Vogel said...

Thank you SO MUCH for your votes and also taking the time to comment here on my blog.

To Anonymous, forgetting your username and password might be a sign that it's been too long since your last post. :)

Becky, yes the other blogs in the Best Health awards look great!

Melanie Tucker said...

Great info! Thanks! My blog (www.FemaleFitCamp.com) seems to need help :/ I'll continue to check out your posts! Voting now (:
Melanie

Amanda Vogel said...

Thanks Melanie! That Best Health Magazine Blog Awards are over and I came out a finalist! Thanks for reading my blog. I am in the process of migrating this blog from Blogger to my website www.ActiveVoice.ca. My website is being updated and should go live (with blog) in a month or less.

I'll check out your blog. :)